Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Embracing Imperfection


EMBRACING IMPERFECTION

When I was a little girl, I could remember, my mom making breakfast and dinner for us.
And I remember one night in particular when she had made dinner after a long, hard day at work.
On that evening so long ago, my mom placed a plate of egg, sausage, and extrmely burned toast in front of my dad.
I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed'
Yet all my dad did was reach for his toast, smile at mom and ask me how my day was at school.
I don't remember what I told him that night but I do remember watching him smear butter and jelly on that toast and eat every bite?

When I got up from the table that evening I remember hearing my mom apologize to my dad
For burning the toast.
And I'll never forget what he said
Baby, I love burned toast.

Later that night, I went to kiss daddy good night and I ask him if he really liked his toast burned.
He wrapped me in his arms and said
Dear , your momma put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired, And besides a little burnt toast never hurt anyone
You know life is full of imperfect things and imperfect people.
I am not the best housekeeper or cook.

What I've learned over the years
Is that learning to accept each other's faults
And choosing to celebrate each other's difference
Is one of the most important keys
To crating a healthy growing
And lasting relationship.

And that's my prayer for you today
that you will learn to take
The good, the bad, and the ugly parts of your life
And lay them at the feet of God
Because in the end
He's the only One who will be able
To give you a reationship
Where burnt toast isn't a deal-breaker"

We could extend this to any relationship in fact
As understanding is the base of any
relationship ,
Be it a husband - wife or parent - child or friendship

Don't put the key to your happiness in
Someone else's pocket but into your own.

4 comments:

YuinTing said...

Beautifully imperfect :-)

Anonymous said...

Mama,sangat touching!How i wish i'll be like your dad..just accept everything as it is.How grateful of you to have a dad and a mom that are sooooo...god knows! Alhamdulillah.



Online business. Pendapatan mingguan yang lumayan. Sila layari website ni ye..http://www.my-successbiz2u.com/lela

Watierman said...

MamaFami..tq for sharing this piece of your life experience.....You must have got it from your parents...the value of appreciation.....

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!