Saturday, March 7, 2009

Hobby # 1

I'm sure everyone in this world has their own passion, or maybe passions. Otherwise, life will be such a boring one, don't you think so? What's your passion then?

If you asked me, I think I have not only one passion but a few. For a start, let me just mention one as I don't want to bore you guys to death! Hahaha... Because if I want to ramble, I can do that the whole day!!!! Okay here goes...

Cross stitching....

Fell in love with this hobby ever since my dear friend Salmah in Segamat introduced it to me. The first project of mine was the kalimah Bismillah, in gold thread. It's still there, hanging in my parent's house in Malacca. Since then, I just can't stop. I brought my sewing kit everywhere I go and will sew at any possible second! Would you believe me, most of my big projects were done in the bus. I used to travel by bus when I was working. The ride was like 1 hour to the office and another hour back. So you see, I have lots of time to spare. Rather than let it go to waste, doing nothing, I started stiching. What a lovely time I had and not only that, I made a lot of friends in the bus. Why? Because they are curious how can I stitch in the bus? Won't I get dizzy and stuff like that? So they'll start chatting with me, and Mrs Chatterbox dot Com will happily answer their questions! Hahahaha....

But nowadays, I hardly stitch. My vision is not so 'bionic' as before. At times when I tried stitching, I can see double which makes it difficult to stitch. I have to wear glasses in order to do so. And guess what, Mrs Trying-to-be-Tough, doesn't have glasses of her own! She shares her husband's reading glasses! Hahaha... but hey, they worked well for me, so why waste money on another pair huh? Age must be catching up on me! Huhuhu...tahu.. tak pe!




I used to go crazy over cross stitch books and magazines! When we were in Malawi, there are no bookshops selling cross stitch books and magazines. Everytime we flew to Johannesburg South Africa, the FIRST outlet I'll go to is the bookshop. The moment I approached the magazine stand, I'll feel suffocated! I was just too excited and can't breathe properly. Maybe to you, it's like meeting your heart throb, that kind of feeling! Hahaha. I'll simply grab whatever's available, as if they are giving it out for free! Money is not the problem as hubby understands my passion very well. Infact, he is more willing to pay for what I had chosen rather than what he'd choose. You don't want to know why... so I'll save my breath explaining... hahahaha.... When we were in Malawi, I guess hubby felt pity for me, always flipping through the same magazines over and over again. So he told me to subscribe them and sent them to Malaysia. I was reluctant at first, because it's expensive. But then again, I told myself, I hardly treat myself when in Malawi, so why not grab this opportunity! After all, I didn't ask for it, I was offered! So, yeah, I accepted the offer and not only subscribe to one magazine but FOUR! Then it's my mom's turn to bla bla bla at me! Why subscribe 4 and it's so costly...bla bla bla.... My answer is simple, hubby bought for me. Full stop! So my mom rested her case....hihihi....





I had always wanted to do some charity work with cross stitch but don't really know how. The idea came when I read this article from one of the cross stich magazines. They printed a few Newton chart for us to stitch on the Aida cloth. Just a small piece. If you wish to participate, all you have to do is stitch whichever design you like, then mail it to them or if you're around in UK, you can actually go to the fair and hand over the stitched cloth to them. They'll sew togehter all the Aidas received into patchwork blankets and sell them for a good cost. I think, that time, all the collection were for a Dialysis Centre. Good huh? I wasn't able to participate as I don't have the right threads to sew on. Wish we can do something like this here.............


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to croccstitch, but it take sme way too long so then I get frustered and retreat to my crochet and knitting... :) but I loved reading of your journey...

MAK TEH said...

why don't you start this project,I'll be the first to psrticipate..I too am crazy to xstitch

MAK TEH said...

hi there again,what's hobby no. 2 ?[jaldi betau na...]

WaNi.NaiVe said...

Achik, wani ni... I'm into cross stitching gak lately ni, but tak tau nak cari kat mana the stocks for the threads and kain cross-stitch... Any idea where can I get them? Around KL or Selangor area?